She made me pick up her heavy paw to sign her name.
“Girl, you know I can’t see.”
Her aide said, “Diabetes,” and nodded in agreement from her perch in front of the television.
The weight of her hand was like a bag of sand, solid and surprising in its movement.
Her skin was cracked and rough, an ashy black in my smooth brown hand.
“I’m only signing this because you pushin’ the issue,” she declared as she scribbled illegible letters.
Finished, she dropped the pen and looked straight at me with one yellow-grey eye, while the other eye remained tightly shut under a heavy fold of dark skin.
Her sightless gaze pierced me and in the puncture mark she left me with a certainty.
I knew that she saw everything.
- Some Of The Best Ways To Manage Your Diabetes (early-symptoms-diabetes-type-2.back-pain-and-treatment.com)
- Learn how to live with diabetes (dietdiabetesdrugs.wordpress.com)
- Importance of Protecting Vision by Managing Blood Sugar Discussed in… (prweb.com)
- 3 Medical Conditions that Can Affect Your Eyesight with Dr. David Soltanpour (davidsoltanpour.wordpress.com)
- Vision (heatherlefoll.wordpress.com)